Monday, May 16

Orangutan Walk and Pants on the Ground




In the last couple of weeks I have been experiencing a seriously strained hip muscle which causes me to favor my right side. In the morning now, I can walk like a human; in the late afternoon, I am imitating more of an orangutan walk -- or so I joke.

While driving Ashley to school on a recent morning during which my leg and hip were bothering me considerably, I noticed, really noticed, for the first time the walk of a young man wearing low riding, wide leg shorts. The type of pants that became famous or perhaps infamous when American Idol's search for talent presented General Larry Platt and his popular and memorable rap ditty called Pants on the Ground. This rendition tells the story of a young man "looking like a fool with his pants on the ground!" Larry Platt says he sung it because he felt the younger generation was not honoring the sacrifices made by the civil rights movement per CBS Entertainment News in January of 2010.

This young man was walking with his legs wide apart to keep the sagging pants from falling to his knees and beyond! This caused me to wonder if this type of wide-stance walking for the sake of vanity will cause him medical issues in older life due to what must be some strain on muscles not previously required for the simple act of walking down a concrete path or sidewalk. Hummm?

As babies, we walked with our legs wide apart for balance until we improved our technique with lots of practice and lots of plopping down hard in our diapers to the ground or floor.

Dublin Georgia's mayor announced recently that he would sign an ordinance fining violators $25 for their first offense of extreme low riding pants and too revealing underwear or skin, followed by $200 fine for additional offenses. Now he has, indeed, signed this law that states anyone wearing pants or skirts more than 3" below the tops of their hips and exposing skin or underwear will be cited. There are definitely critics of this new law that the Mayor favored on the grounds of showing respect for one another. No mention of medical impact of this practice long term in the ordinance article.

Anyway, let the young man dress the way he wants. As he ages, he will likely change his style and his gait and avoid lasting effects.

In the meantime, my orangutan walk is worrisome to me as it is causing my thigh to hurt from the straining of different muscles. But! But, it is improving and I will not suffer lasting gait effects from this injury.

Let's Walk on!!

No comments: